May is usually a very busy time but the Corona-virus has affected everything, for us as well as for everyone else, normally we start operations traditionally on 1st May but due to recommendations operations have been postponed to 21st June. The Corona situation means that there are less people in the workshops and for other duties. But we have made quite good progress despite of the situation.
Our loco shed has had smoke vents for two locos that could be lowered over the loco chimneys. These have been tricky to operate and were now life expired. New vents have been installed made by stainless steel, they extend a bit along the track and are fitted with ejectors to lift the smoke on cold damp mornings.
Our Hartmann feldbahn loco No 8 Emsfors is in need of the boilertube replacement, as they are welded to the tube plate, work has started by grinding down the welds in order to be able to remove the tubes.
To be able to run steam locos along the line, all water barrels for fire protection have to be filled. We spent a nice day along the line with a barbecue lunch, filling them – on some places they are placed quite high . The station cat in Läggesta Nedre took some interest in our activities.
On loco No 9 work has been intense in May, we filled the water tanks to check if the leak was still present, but no leakage could be seen. The rear bogie has been removed, cleaned and the wheels painted – and some interesting stampings were found on the axle and the wheels. The bogie had to be removed to take down the ash pan in order to weld in some new plates on the sides.
On No 5 ”Hamra” we performed the regular inspection required to take the loco into operation , and also lighted her up for a trial run – we have a small supply of coal in Mariefred but to fill the coal box we had to go to Läggesta nedre.
The tank wagon MJ 58 has had the tank and frames repainted.
KLJ 50 is a standard goods wagon undercarriage, built by the Kosta workshop for KLJ in 1900. This was rescued from a scrap heap at Aspa bruk in the 60’s and has seen a lot of abuse, the side beams are in reasonable condition but the buffer beams and corner joint plates were in poor condition and will be replaced. Our wagon master Henrik seems to wonder if this ”wreck” is possible to restore… the oak timbers had some rot at the ends but was in a surprising good condition.
Short closed vans were very characteristic for the Kosta line as they transported glass products in need of weather protection. We got a suitable body for it some years ago and it has already been overhauled at an external workshop. The combination will be numbered after the original number of the van, KLJ G 63. This will be the fourth overhauled wagon of this type, very practical as luggage vans for prams and bikes on our trains.
New buffer stops, destined for Taxinge-Näsby, are welded together
The new red flash lights for the level crossings require some work in the signal box
Vårt lokstall har varit med länge och de rökhuvar som finns placerades olyckligt när det byggdes så loken måste ställas väldigt nära portarna för att hamna under huven. Nu har vi beställt nya huvar av en lokal plåtslagare och de har monterats i lokstallet.